The state of our relationship with our significant other has a huge impact on our life. When things are going well we’re on the top of our game, conversely when there is trouble at home it can cause immense grief. It is therefore to everyone’s advantage to put some effort into keeping that relationship infused with passion well beyond the initial rush of new love. We can keep the fire burning with the following simple actions:
1. Take time to send a quick, “I’m thinking of you” text message or email.
2. Hold hands every chance you get.
3. Teach one another. Learn from one another.
4. Cheer for your husband; let him know you are his biggest fan.
5. Admit your mistakes and apologize to your partner when you know you are wrong.
6. Make big decisions together.
7. When your feelings have been hurt, speak the truth in love; not hate.
8. Send flowers occasionally, just because.
9. Show grace when the mistakes are admitted – and then provide forgiveness.
10. Be your partner’s defender; but not his enabler.
11. Don’t criticize her ideas.
12. See the beauty in everything you create and do together.
13. Focus on her needs first.
14. Give him your attention when it’s requested.
15. Keep your word.
16. Respect what’s important to the other.
18. Give a little space when it’s requested.
19. Play together.
20. Don’t keep score of the small things you do.
All of those are simple and easy to implement, so what are you waiting for? If you’re not practicing the above, then think of all the joy you and you partner can start creating by nurturing each other with these simple tips. Well suited to the topic of this post, we really appreciate the following words of wisdom:
“Age does not protect you from love. But, love, to some extent, protects you from age.” – Jeanne Moreau
“The heart has no wrinkles.” – Mme de Sevigne
“I love you more than yesterday, less than tomorrow.” – Edmond Rostand
“I love you not for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you.” – Roy Croft
“Love creates an ‘us’ without destroying the ‘me’.” – Leo Buscaglia